Roses are not always red

EDIT: I HAD TO TAKE DOWN THE TUTORIALS SINCE THEY WERE BEING DISTRIBUTED WITHOUT MY CONSENT, FOR PROFIT. I MAY COMPILE THEM LATER TO BE A PDF FILE FOR DOWNLOAD. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. 



I love Swaps! For those of you that don't know what a swap is, basically it's when you make something and exchange it with someone else for something similar. Like a trade of sorts.

Well, I recently joined a flower swap. Now this swap you could do any kind of flower, but it had to be less than 3 inches and had to have at least 3 layers. I instantly thought of making paper roses.

 I just love making 3D roses either in paper or in fondant. Sooo, this week on top of making the Roses for the swap, I will do a tutorial series for everyday of the week. And Saturday I might even throw in a surprise!
I decided to make a whole bunch of the roses at once. That way, I could have some for my reserve, since it is running dangerously low. I hope you enjoy this step by step.



First off, since I was going to do many of these flowers, I had to find a suitable flower die to make them. Cricut to the rescue!!! I love the Art Philosophy cartridge from Close to my Heart. I took both images that I needed from there. The flat rose and the swirl rose. Now, if you don't have AP you can use the Flower Shoppe cartridge. The flat rose is the same, Second row third one from the left. The swirl rose, you can use the second one from the right on the top line of the cartridge overlay. Just cut the excess off so you don't get a huge center.


After I cutting them, it was time to ink them. I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Tattered Rose. Using a sponge or dauber, haphazardly blot the ink all over the swirls and the flat roses. I do it on both sides since it will be a 3D rose.



I assembled it.....
....And here is the finished rose!



Tomorrow I'll do the Daisy that I'm doing for the second group of the Swap.

Thanks for Looking!
ALI



Comments

  1. wow sweetie, that finished rose looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial on your flowers. I am now a follower of your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutley gorgeous! But how do you do it, I just wouldn't have the patience for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes about 5-7 minutes on each rose. It's not that bad, and once you get on a roll, they go by pretty fast.

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful! Thank you for the step by step tutorial!

    Carol aka cyimbugbitten

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for making this tutorial. I bookmarked it so that I can refer back to it. I love the delicate look you created by inking the edges. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rose is stunning! I love how the inside is quilled and the outer petals wrap around. Your leaves look so real also with the lines drawn. Thank you for such excellent tutorials. I will be bookmarking this page for a future reference. Your are so inspiring!! TFS.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so need to buy one of those carts. I love this flower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the AP Cartridge and love it.. I was wondering what size did you make your cuts? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my Gypsy to size them, but the rose die cut is aprox 1.5" and the quilted rose is about 1.75"

      Delete
  10. Amazing-you have so much patience.I have really enjoyed seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alicia can you tell me what you mean when you said "Once that was done, using the Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Fired Brick, I edged them using the sponge. This was also done on both sides" What exactly is edging them? Are you just dabbing them with a wet sponge around each edge or what? It sounds like it is different from inking the sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say edging, I usually hold the die cut on my left hand with the edge that I want inked hanging out of my fingers. Then with the sponge, I ink the edge of the petals by going up and down, so only the very edge of the petal gets inked with the darker color.

      Hope this explains it better.

      Delete
  12. Love these flowers will definitely be a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment